Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The ants came marching in.

What I find to be extremely exciting about being a new veggie gardener is I have no idea what these veggies are going to look like as they grow.

I planted a cucumber plant in my raised vegetable garden. It became a vine and started growing up my fence.   It was pretty awesome to watch each day as it changed. Then I started to see little yellow flowers all over the vine. Then the little flowers were turning into tiny cucumbers. It was so neat to see. The kids were excited to see them growing too. One day after all the rain I spotted what looked like a tiny gherkin pickle. I thought we're going to have a TON of cucumbers!  I looked down at the stem of the plant and saw ants marching up and down my cucumber plant. The stem looked weak. I lifted it up and noticed the stem was hallow. The ants were eating the stem.....and within a week my whole cucumber plant shriveled up and died. Such a sad day. So we did not enjoy eating any cucumbers from my garden.

These little cucumbers were so cute.

This is as big as any of my cucumbers ever got, before the ants took over!

My poor little cucumber plant. Can you spot the tiny little ants marching up and down this vine? I'm so mad at them.

Those pesky little ants enjoyed my cucumbers...oh the life of a new gardener!


Has anyone every planted cucumbers and actually harvested cucumbers?

2 comments:

  1. Awwwww! How disapointing! I'd be so mad. I didn't know ants did that! But...I love the start of the plant! I read some super cool natural ways to prevent ants from coming. I can't remember them and I wonder if you can goggle that to help for the next time! Do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely look into natural ant prevention next time I plant a cucumber plant, that's for sure.

      Delete