Saturday, April 21, 2012

Green Thumb? ...we'll see:)

I was a week of firsts for me. I am trying to find ways to live healthier and better.

I was excited to try my hand at gardening. I love organic produce, but I definitely don't always love the price of it. I usually get my produce from the Palofox Farmers Market, Everman and Publix to shop for the cheapest prices.  I figured why not try to grow my favorites at home. There was only one problem with my solution...everything I've EVER tried to grow dies. I decided to try to grow only a few things and see how it goes.

I headed to Home Depot and decided to browse their herbs and veggies. 

I decided on Strawberries,  a key lime tree, cilantro, mint, basil & lavender. 

I planted the key lime tree in a pot. There are 56 tiny key lime buds on the tree.


 I planted the mint, cilantro, basil & Lavender all in one pot together.

 I planted the strawberry plant in a separate pot. I decided later to go back to Home Depot and get a couple more small strawberry plants to add to the pot.

I placed them all near my front door in hopes this would help me to remember water and tend them.

The most rewarding moment was when we had friends over last night for Taco Night and it was so wonderful to actually serve some items from my garden. We had fresh cilantro and limes from my garden in our tacos! Pretty cool. Especially because I've never served food from my garden!

The next step is to clear our a whole flower bed and plant some produce from seeds and watch the grow! I hope it all works out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment