Monday, October 15, 2012

Farmers Market Finds

Early Saturday morning I headed to the Palofox farmers market, downtown Pensacola. The market has grown a lot since the last time I visited a few months ago. It seems like it's doubled in size. Not only are there homemade breads, organic breads, sweets, homemade popsicles, traditional vegetables, funky vegetables (i.e. vegetables I've never seen before), different kinds of honey, soaps and even all kinds of "artsy fartsy". My absolutely favorite is finding fresh vegetables and purchasing them directly from the farmers. It's such a great feeling purchasing your food and knowing exactly where it came from. There's such a neat buzz at the farmers market. I love it.

Here are my fresh finds from the market this weekend:


a big bushel of Baby Kale    $2.00
All those green peppers        $2.00
3 cucumbers                         $3.00 ($0.75 each)
yellow zucchini                     $1.00
Small butternut squash          $1.00
Button squash                       $1.00
Fairytale eggplant                 $0.50
_______________________________
TOTAL                               $11.25

Now what to do with the squash and the eggplant??? Not sure..sinee I've never used it. Those green peppers however are going into some salsa and pasta sauce. The kale is going to be part of a salad and/or putting in some juice I'll be making. I already used the cucumbers in a big greek salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment