Monday, October 1, 2012

Lemon Tree

Have you ever walked into a store for one thing, and walked out with something completely different? I was walking into Home Depot last week for paint, to paint my crib to bench. While I was waiting for my paint to be mixed I moseyed on down to the garden section. I always like to see what new types of fruits of veggies are in season to plant. As I'm on the journey of learning how to garden, so I figured I would check out their latest selection for fall. I walked by the fruit trees and most of them are pretty good sizes and are $120 a piece. I've always wanted a fruit tree, but I can't afford that price tag. Especially since I'm not a seasoned gardner; I'd hate to buy something that pricey, only to kill it.

All of a sudden, low and behold: I turned a corner and there was the cutest little lemon tree, with five lemons already on it!  The price tag read $18! How on earth was a lemon tree for sale for only $18? I thought with five lemons already on this tree, it must be in good enough shape. If only five lemons make it, it would be a fun experience to learn about growing lemons and enjoying a few. That would make each lemon cost $3.60, but it'll be fun! (this is what I was telling myself as I was trying to decide if this lemon tree was going home with me).

As I checked out,  the wonderful check out Home Depot ladies oohed and ahhed over my lemon tree. They said "if I had seen that tree, I would've bought it for $18"!  As soon as they said that I felt overjoyed that I won the prize. It solidified that I needed this tree, and it was meant to be. haha.

I asked the wonderful check out Home Depot ladies, "Do you know anything about growing, planting a lemon tree?" They mentioned I need to keep the lemon tree away from frost. That I should not plant it, until after the last frost. I should plan to move my lemon tree inside by the first frost, to not loose it. I'm wondering if that's why you see people with blankets on some of their plants? Maybe I could get a "lemon tree blanket" that I keep in the garage, and when the weather gets chilly I'll run out and cover my little lemon tree?


If my lemon tree takes off. I'll be making lemonade, lemon meringue, and definitely be adding lemons to all my juices I make. I can see myself as a grandma having my grandkids come over and fill a basket full of lemons for them to take home. Okay, well I'm getting carried away. Let's just cross our fingers that the tree makes it through the night and I get to enjoy at least five lemons.

Here's my lemon tree shoved into the front seat of my car. You can see four of the lemons.


I love this picture shows how small it really is, next to my five year old and my two year old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment